I tried making a simple appetizer for my family and guests a while back. The recipe looked easy enough and yummy at the same time. It included puff pastry dough, goat cheese, pancetta (or bacon), and asparagus. The only time consuming part was cooking the pancetta, and waiting for the appetizer to bake. 🙂 Be careful not to overcook the tart as the edges tend to burn. Keep an eye on it at all times. Overall, a great appetizer to serve.
- 5 slices bacon or 1/4 lb of pancetta
- 1 bunch thin to medium-sized aspargus, tough ends removed, then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. soft goat cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1/4 tb water
Preheat the oven to 375F. Cook the bacon or pancetta until crisp, then remove onto paper towel. Once cooled, crumble. Drain all but 1TB of the bacon fat. Cook the shallots in the bacon fat until tender, then add the asparagus pieces. Cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, and add the crumbled bacon or pancetta. Carefully pat the goat cheese onto the puffy pastry dough. Sprinkle the asparagus, shallot, and bacon mixture on top of the goat cheese. Brush the border of the pastry with the egg wash. Cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool and cut into four squares.