- 5 slices bacon or 1/4 lb of pancetta
- 1 bunch thin to medium-sized aspargus, tough ends removed, then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. soft goat cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1/4 tb water
Preheat the oven to 375F. Cook the bacon or pancetta until crisp, then remove onto paper towel. Once cooled, crumble. Drain all but 1TB of the bacon fat. Cook the shallots in the bacon fat until tender, then add the asparagus pieces. Cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, and add the crumbled bacon or pancetta. Carefully pat the goat cheese onto the puffy pastry dough. Sprinkle the asparagus, shallot, and bacon mixture on top of the goat cheese. Brush the border of the pastry with the egg wash. Cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool and cut into four squares.