- 5 tomatillos, husks removed, washed, halved
- 2 jalapenos, halved, seeds removed (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, remove lower stems, washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil for roasting
- 1/4 cup of water
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, toss in the tomatillos, garlic, and onions. Add the olive oil, and toss to coat. Roast the vegetables for about 15 minutes. Doing this adds a bit of smokey flavor to the salsa verde, which I like. Let cool for a few minutes. Add the vegetables to a blender, along with the cilantro, salt and pepper, and the water. Blend until you have a nice puree. You’re done. Eat right away, of store for later use for tacos, burritos, chips, or whatever else your imagination leads you to! Enjoy.
By the way, if anyone has the recipes for the three salsas that El Rey serves everyday, I would love for you to pass them along.